Home » Fun Stuff, Reality VT

Likening Twilight to a Visiting Teaching Message

29 March 2009 9 Comments

Last post for this month. I am sure you all have seen this Visiting Teaching Cartoon going around from 9thWardCartoons.com but I couldn’t resist posting it this month seeing as it is obviously a perfect fit with this month’s Visiting Teaching message. Could be an enhancer too, okay well maybe only for me.

twilight-visiting-teaching-joke

[Click image to enlarge it.] Image Description (for those who can’t see the image above): 3 ladies sitting on a couch in a living room and a lamp on the right. 2 sisters are sitting close to each other and the other sister is sitting a little further away, they all have a “book” in their laps. The sister on the far left says, “This month’s message is about true love. Let’s turn to page 260 of our “Twilight” novels.”

9thWardCartoons.com has the best LDS themed cartoons. I especially love the fact that they picked page 260. Um….hello?! Edward in the sunlight. Perfect chapter. I just love “Confessions.”

Right, so I was going to tell you all how I “likened” this month’s Visiting Teaching message to Twilight. SPOILER if you haven’t read all 4 books.

Here it is:

1. “Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan.” (The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Ensign, Nov. 1995) = Edward (man) & Bella (woman) were married. See Chapter 3 of Breaking Dawn.
  2. “As a disciple of Jesus Christ, every woman in this Church is given the responsibility for … protecting families.” (Julie B. Beck, Relief Society general president, “What Latter-day Saint Women Do Best: Stand Strong and Immovable,” Liahona and Ensign, Nov. 2007) = Bella extending her shield, using her talent/gift, to protect her family. See Page 690 of Breaking Dawn.
  3. “In today’s world, where Satan’s aggression against the family is so prevalent, parents must do all they can to fortify and defend their families.” (Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “What Matters Most Is What Lasts Longest,” Liahona and Ensign, Nov. 2005) = Bella did all that she could to fortify her family by 1) becoming a vampire in order to stay alive for her husband, Edward, and for her new baby, Renesmee, and 2) by practicing and developing her talent/gift to be able to use it against anyone who would want to harm them. Edward also did all he could to protect his family. See Book 3, pg 361 of Breaking Dawn.
  4. Oh and lets not forget my new favorite quote, the Twilight Movie slogan. “If you can live forever, what do you live for?” Um… Hello?! I CAN live forever and so can you. So, I will live for the chance to be with my family forever. How? By striving to obey the commandments (much easier typed than done), serving and overcoming the natural [wo]man in order to receive the gift of Eternal Life (like vampirism but way better and without all the blood and guts). What do you live for?

Well, I know I’ve probably made a complete fool of myself by actually “likening” the Twilight story to myself and the Visiting Teaching Message but that’s okay with me. I’ll always remember this month’s message. Sometimes, I just need to get creative in order to have messages stand out in my mind. How you go about it is totally up to you.

Disclaimer: If you decide to use my “likened” example of Twilight as your message (which I don’t recommend, but whatever), you do it because you agree with me or even think it’s funny and not because I told you to share it with others and of course The Church does not endorse this idea or any other ideas on this site, remember it’s just me here and I am just human (not a vampire yet).

December 2010 Visiting Teaching Gifts

9 Comments »

• Utah Bubble said:

Funny crap!!! We at UtahBubble.com solute you :)

• Wendy Kirby said:

hahahahaha love it!! And Love Twilight!!

• admin (author) said:

Wendy, I’m so glad you liked this post. I’m sure you could tell that, I love twilight!!! Glad there are others out there. ♥, Linda

• Rayel said:

I love this. I have always been amazed at the amount of gospel truths hidden in the Twilight Saga. It is so much fun to look for them.

• Wendy said:

Seriously, gospel truths hidden in Twilight?! I personally thought the books were a bit over the top…do we really want our daughters to think it is acceptable to take Young Men to the very edge of their sexual control? (Much more dangerous than vampires!)

• admin (author) said:

Hi Wendy,
    Thanks for your comment. I don’t think everyone agrees with me, of course some may think I’m stretching it a little to make it fit. But to ME those 4 points really do correspond to what I have learned and what I believe from the gospel. Of course I would never think that taking a YM or YW to the edge of anything on purpose would be acceptable. But I didn’t say that. Stay away from the edge!!! I only pointed out what I thought DID make sense to ME and what I thought COULD be likened. I obviously love the series, so I could probably go on forever about other points which I think are totally similar but I don’t really feel like it would be a productive use of my time. LOL
    Also…if you’re married then you’ll know that you don’t have to be a vampire or be driven to the edge to actually be on the edge with the person you love. I was always on the edge of my seat when I was dating my husband. Just the thought of him gave me goosebumps, made me nervous and weak in the knees and still does to this day. :) I don’t think it’s always sexual, just emotional, which is slightly different but sometimes confusing for young peeps. It can obviously be sexual after you’re married, it’s one of the things you look forward to, righteous sex in order to have babies! (which they did!) I think they (book & movie peeps) obviously try to make it seem more sexual while they are dating because that’s what “sells” in this society. (sad I know). Well Wendy, I hope you’re not mad at me for it, I love the gospel! (or I wouldn’t take my time with this site) but I also love Twilight and am glad for one thing that they did wait to make love until they were married, cause they were blessed with a little girl. If they hadn’t waited it would have ruined the whole series for me and I think that’s why so many people like it. I’d rather my daughter (16 and older) read/watch Twilight than some of the other filthy vampire or teeny-bopper high school books and movies out there. Plus she’ll be waiting for her “edward” which raises the bar quite a bit and I’m okay with that. Ok apparently went on even longer than I wanted too. LOL sorry. ♥ Linda

• admin (author) said:

Rayel,
    (um 1st I love your name!) So glad you think so too! Of course Stephenie had to have so much of herself poured into the series, which was great! Getting anxious for Eclipse! ♥ Linda

• mindi said:

So! I’m so sad because I was trying to rate this as 5 stars, but I accidentally hit the 2nd one :( so sorry for the bad rating…

Anyway! I LOVE this!! I’m a Twilighter & I totally love the pieces of the gospel found in the twilight series! Of course, I would never bring them up at church, or even talk about them with anyone who wouldn’t undestand… ;)

I know I’m a couple years late on this feed, but I do have to say, that although I completely understand, & even agree to a certain point with the last wendy, I also really appreciate that twilight is honest about the fact that it’s not just boys with raging desires, or just girls who have the strength to stand up for virtue. I think all of these kind of discussions are intended for those who can be mature about it. I think even if I’d had the opportunity to read these books as a teen, that I would have been capable of understanding what was meant & not just thought I coud push a boy to his limits & that he’d have the control to take care of us.

& since this is a relatively “safe” place to let the twilight-crazy out, I would also like to share that reading Stephenie’s portrayal of Bella’s heightened senses as a vampire, has actually helped me to have a more tangible concept of our potential as eternal beings. I’m sure there are differences, but it’s on the right track… I’m honestly MORE excited for my resurrected body & more motivated to make sure I make it to the highest degree of the celestial kingdom…. ;) <3 … anyway, YOU know what I mean! ;)

Anyway, it's time for me to put my "crazy" away in a safe place, where it won't be mocked or ridiculed…. :)

• admin (author) said:

Mindi, I love your comments, thank you! You’re not crazy, I’m the one who posted it in the first place. LOL. I could create a whole site about the parallels in twilight and the Gospel but that wouldn’t be the best use of my time, right? I have to remember, “Good, Better, Best.” I better go and get some rest so my human body doesn’t fall apart tomorrow with it’s normal daily routines. ;)
    Love ya! ♥ Linda